Consultation on review of Dutch Financial Markets Supervision Act
The Ministry of Finance is considering a review of the Dutch Financial Markets Supervision Act (Wft) and has published an exploratory study of the options.
The Wft has been amended more than 70 times since it entered into force in 2007. A considerable number of the amendments concern the implementation of European regulation. As a result, the Wft has become voluminous and very complex. In order to make the Wft future-proof and easier to read, the Minister of Finance now has proposed the following angles of approach:
- Leaving the Wft as it is
- Making minor legal-technical amendments and improving the explanatory notes
- Improving the current structure of the Wft, while maintaining the cross-sectoral approach
- Introducing a sectoral approach, where the rules are organised by area (for example, banking, insurance, securities markets)
- Replacing the Wft with a number of separate, sectoral acts
The ministry is also assessing the need for an English translation of the entire Wft, and for a guide or website which explains the applicable legislation for each sector.
The twin peaks model, where the Dutch Central Bank (DNB) is responsible for prudential supervision and the Netherlands Authority for the Financial Markets (AFM) for conduct of business supervision, will be maintained.
The consultation runs until 1 March 2017.
Implementation of remaining market abuse rules
The Ministry of Finance has launched a consultation on a decree implementing the remaining provisions of the Market Abuse Regulation (MAR).
As a regulation, the MAR has direct effect. Therefore, most rules – chapters 2 to 5 – will be removed from the Dutch Market Abuse Decree. In addition, the implementing decree deals with a number of implementation issues and Member State options in the MAR. For example, under the MAR, an issuer who has delayed disclosure of information to the public must inform the competent authority immediately after the information is disclosed to the public. Issuers must also keep a record of the date and time when the inside information first existed, the time when the decision to delay was taken, who was responsible for the decision, and evidence of fulfilment of each of the conditions for delay. The implementing decree now clarifies that this information is to be provided to the AFM only upon request.
Finally, once the implementing Decree enters into force, the AFM will have the authority to impose the new maximum fines required by the MAR. The maximum fine for serious infringements will then be EUR 5 million and, as a result, the maximum fine for repeat infringements will be EUR 10 million. For large enterprises the fine will be up to 10% of net annual turnover. This maximum fine can be raised to EUR 20 million or (for large enterprises) 15% of net annual turnover.
The Dutch bill implementing the MAR and the Market Abuse Directive took effect last summer. When the implementing decree takes effect, the implementation of the new market abuse regime will be complete.
The consultation runs until 16 December.
Agreement on new EU prospectus rules
The European Parliament, the Council for the European Union and the European Commission have agreed on the proposal for the Prospectus Regulation, which will replace the current Prospectus Directive. The proposal includes the following changes:
- No EU prospectus will be required for capital raisings and crowdfunding projects below EUR 1 million. Member States will also be able to set higher thresholds for their domestic markets. Here the threshold will be raised from EUR 5 million to EUR 8 million.
- An EU growth prospectus will be created for SMEs, mid-caps admitted to an SME Growth market or small issuances by non-listed companies.
- An alleviated corporate bond prospectus will be available for admission to wholesale debt markets.
- Frequent participants in the capital markets will have a frequent issuer regime that they can activate once an opportunity to raise funds arises. This will halve approval times from ten days to five.
- There will be a lighter prospectus regime for issuers already listed on a public market that want to issue additional shares or raise debt.
- Prospectus summaries will become shorter and the language used will be easier to understand for investors.
- No more paper prospectuses will be required, except if a potential investor explicitly requests one.
- ESMA will operate a free and searchable online prospectus database.
The European Commission expects that the new rules will make it easier and cheaper for smaller companies to access capital markets. Also, the rules will be simplified for all companies that wish to issue shares or debt.
The agreed text now goes to the European Parliament and the Council of the EU for a final vote.
Application date of PRIIPS Regulation postponed
Following the European Parliament’s rejection of the Regulatory Technical Standards (RTS) that set out the format and methodology for the Key Information Document (KID), the Parliament has also called for a postponement of the entry into application of the underlying Regulation on Key Information Documents for Packaged Retail and Insurance-based Investment Products (PRIIPs).
The European Commission’s proposal to delay the date of application of PRIIPs by one year has now been adopted by the Parliament.
The RTS are currently being revised and are expected to be adopted during the first half of 2017 and apply as of 1 January 2018. This means that issuers and distributors of PRIIPs products have until 1 January 2018 to put the provisions in place.
EBA consults on new prudential regime for investment firms
The EBA has launched a consultation on the design of a new prudential regime for investment firms. The proposed framework aims to create a harmonised set of requirements that are simple, proportionate, and tailored to investment business. The framework covers all investment firms that are ‘not systemic’ and ‘bank-like’ and encompasses MiFID investment firms and potentially MiFID II firms, but will also be relevant for UCITS management companies or AIF managers authorised to conduct certain MiFID investment services or activities.
The framework under consultation focuses on the risks that investment firms may pose to customers and to market integrity and liquidity. The EBA is proposing that the ongoing capital requirements be calculated based on capital factors attributed to one of these two broad types of risks, which are then amplified by the risk to which firms themselves are exposed. This means that firms which pose more risk to customers and markets should comply with higher capital requirements than those who pose less risk, and firms that pose similar risk to customers and markets, but are themselves exposed to more risk, should hold more capital than those that are exposed to less risk. In addition to capital requirements, the prudential regime also addresses the definition of capital, liquidity requirements and other prudential requirements.
Other aspects of the proposal address the:
- Need for consolidated supervision
- Opportunity to monitor large exposures for investment firms
- Consequences that the introduction of a new prudential regime would have on the reporting requirements
- Importance of internal risk management arrangements; and
- Need for competent authority to have the power to address firm-specific issues.
It also includes a dedicated section on remuneration which sets out that all investment firms should have remuneration policies compliant with MiFID remuneration requirements in place for all staff and tied agents.
The consultation runs until 2 February 2017.
- RTS concerning the information for registration of third-country firms and the format of information for registration of third-country firms and the format of information to be provided to the clients, OJ, 19 November 2016
- RTS on access in respect of benchmarks, OJ, 19 November 2016
- RTS on criteria for determining whether derivatives subject to the clearing obligation should be subject to the trading obligation, OJ, 19 November 2016
- Guideline of the European Central Bank of 4 November 2016 on the approach for the recognition of institutional protection schemes for prudential purposes by national competent authorities pursuant to Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council, OJ, 15 November 2016
- Guideline of the European Central Bank of 4 November 2016 laying down the principles for the coordination of the assessment pursuant to Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council and the monitoring of institutional protection schemes including significant and less significant institutions, OJ, 15 November 2016
- Commission Implementing Regulation laying down ITS for templates, definitions and IT-solutions to be used by institutions when reporting to the EBA and to competent authorities in accordance with Article 78(2) of CRD IV, OJ, 2 December 2016
- Commission Implementing Regulation laying down technical information for the calculation of technical provisions and basic own funds for reporting in accordance with Solvency II, OJ, 16 November 2016
- Commission Delegated regulation (EU) of 1 December 2016 supplementing Directive 2014/65/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council with regard to RTS for the criteria to establish when an activity is considered to be ancillary to the main business, EC, 1 December 2016
- Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) of 1 December 2016 supplementing Directive 2014/65/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council with regard to RTS for the application of position limits to commodity derivatives, EC, 1 December 2016
- Regulation on a framework for the recovery and resolution of central counterparties, EC, 28 November 2016
- Directive amending Directive 2014/59/EU (BRRD) as regards the ranking of unsecured debt instruments in insolvency hierarchy, EC, 23 November 2016
- Directive amending Directive 2014/59/EU (BRRD) on loss-absorbing and recapitalisation capacity of credit institutions and investment firms and amending Directive 98/26/EC, 23 November 2016
- Directive 2002/47/EC, Directive 2012/30/EU, Directive 2011/35/EU, Directive 2005/56/EC, Directive 2004/25/EC and Directive 2007/36/EC, EC, 23 November 2016
- Regulation amending Regulation (EU) No 806/2014 (SRMR) as regards loss-absorbing and recapitalisation Capacity for credit institutions and investment firms, EC, 23 November 2016
- Directive amending Directive 2013/36/EU (CRD IV) as regards exempted entities, financial holding companies, remuneration, supervisory measures and powers and capital conservation measures, EC, 23 November 2016
- Regulation amending Regulation (EU) No 575/2013 (CRR) as regards the leverage ratio, the net stable funding ratio, requirements for won funds and eligible liabilities, counterparty credit risk, market risk, exposures to central counterparties, exposures to collective investment undertakings, large exposures, reporting and disclosure requirements and amending Regulation (EU) No 648/2012, EC, 23 November 2016
- Regulatory technical standards on prudential requirements for central securities depositories and designated credit institutions offering banking-type ancillary services, EC, 23 November 2016
- De hervorming van het bankwezen in de EU: Sterke banken ondersteunen de groei en herstellen het vertrouwen, EC, 23, November 2016
- Communication on the Call for Evidence – EU regulatory framework for financial services, EC, 23 November 2016
- EMIR Review Report, EC, 23 November 2016
- Commission Implementing Regulation laying down technical information for the calculation of technical provisions and basic own funds for reporting with reference dates from 30 September until 30 December 2016 in accordance with Solvency II, EC, 11 November 2016
- Regulatory technical standards specifying the content of the reporting on internalised settlements, EC, 11 November 2016
- Regulatory technical standards on authorisation, supervisory and operational requirements for central securities depositories, EC, 11 November 2016
- Delegated act for the calculation of cash penalties for settlement fails and the operations of central securities depositories in host Member States, EC, 11 November 2016
- Implementing technical standards with regard to the templates and procedures for the reporting and transmission of information on internalised settlements, EC, 11 November 2016
- Implementing technical standards on standard forms, templates and procedures for authorisation, review and evaluation of central securities depositories, EC, 11 November 2016
- Commission extends the application date of the PRIIPs Regulation by one year, EC, 9 November 2016
- Commission Delegated Regulation amending EMIR as regards the extension of the transitional periods related to pension scheme arrangements, EC, 31 October 2016
- Provisional agreement on final act IORP II, EP, 5 December 2016
- Briefing Single Resolution Board, EP, 5 December 2016
- Text adopted: Green Paper on Retail Financial Services, EP, 22 November 2016
- Letter to EIOPA regarding the UFR, EP, 15 November 2016
- Basel III revision: MEPs want to ensure the EU banking model is not penalised, EP, 10 November 2016
- Third-country equivalence in EU banking legislation, EP, 7 November 2016
- EBA stress test 2016: Some methodological issues raised in the public domain, EP, 3 November 2016
- EBA sees high NPL levels and low profitability as the main risks for EU banks, EBA, 2 December 2016
- 2016 EU-wide transparency exercise results, EBA, 2 December 2016
- EBA updates list of CET1 instruments, EBA, 1 December 2016
- EBA amends supervisory reporting standards due to the new IFRS 9, EBA, 30 November 2016
- List of public sector entities treated as exposures to regional governments, local authorities or central governments, EBA, 29 November 2016
- EBA launches second impact assessment of IFRS 9 on EU banks, EBA, 24 November 2016
- Draft Technical Standards on standardised terminology and disclosure documents under the Payments Accounts Directive – Public Hearing, EBA, 22 November 2016
- Final standards on assessment methodology to validate market risk models, EBA, 22 November 2016
- EBA provides overview on the proportionate application of remuneration requirements across the EU, EBA, 21 November 2016
- List of public sector entities for the calculation of capital requirements, EBA, 18 November 2016
- EBA seeks views on how to review the maturity ladder for liquidity reporting, EBA, 16 November 2016
- EBA consults on guidelines for the application of the IRB approach, EBA, 14 November 2016
- EBA consults on revised standards on supervisory reporting, EBA, 14 November 2016
- Recommendation on the harmonisation of the covered bond frameworks in the EU, EBA, 11 November 2016
- EBA provides its views on the implementation of IFRS 9 and its impact on banks across the EU, EBA, 10 November 2016
- Consultation on standards specifying information requirements for the authorisation of credit institutions, EBA, 8 November 2016
- Recommendations on the implementation of new counterparty and market risk frameworks, EBA, 4 November 2016
- Final guidelines on ICAAP and ILAAP information, EBA, 3 November 2016
- Consultation on Guidelines on authorisation and registration under PSD2, EBA, 3 November 2016
- Decision of the European Banking Authority on notifications to the EBA relating to Directive on deposit guarantee schemes, EBA, 25 October 2016
- ESMA sees continued high levels of market risks, ESMA, 1 December 2016
- ESMA to provide free credit ratings information to public, ESMA, 1 December 2016
- Updated UCITS Q&A, ESMA, 21 November 2016
- MiFID and MiFIR Q&As, ESMA, 18 November 2016
- Updated AIFMD Q&A, ESMA, 16 November 2016
- Guidelines on the validation and review of CRAs’ methodologies, ESMA, 15 November 2016
- ESMA defines common supervisory approach for CCPs’ service extensions and change of risk models, ESMA, 15 November 2016
- ESMA asks Commission to delay central clearing for small financial counterparties, ESMA, 14 November 2016
- The EC invites ESAs to amend PRIIPS rules and develop guidance, ESMA, 11 November 2016
- Updated MAR Guidelines – Persons receiving market soundings, ESMA, 10 November 2016
- Consultation Paper: Draft RTS on package orders for which there is a liquid market, ESMA, 10 November 2016
- Technical advice under the Benchmarks Regulation, ESMA, 10 November 2016
- ESMA prepares for new International Financial Reporting Standard 9, ESMA, 10 November 2016
- ESMA prepares for MiFID II systematic internaliser regime, ESMA, 4 November 2016
- Consultation on draft RTS and ITS under SFTR and amendments to related EMIR RTS, ESMA, 4 November 2016
- Discussion Paper on Potential Harmonisation of Recovery and Resolution Frameworks for Insurers, EIOPA, 2 December 2016
- Monthly technical information for Solvency II relevant risk free interest rate term structures – October 2016, EIOPA, 9 November 2016
- Monthly update of the symmetric adjustment of the equity capital charge for Solvency II – October 2016, EIOPA, 9 November 2016
- Q&A on Regulation, EIOPA, 4 November 2016
- Public consultation on the draft ECB guidance on leveraged transactions, ECB, 23 November 2016
- Annual assessment of significance brings number of banks directly supervised by the ECB to 127, ECB, 21 November 2016
- Stocktake of IT risk supervision practices, ECB, 16 November 2016
- Guidelines on assessment and monitoring of institutional protection schemes, ECB, 15 November 2016
- ECB launches consultation on guide to assessments of board members, ECB, 14 November 2016
- Consultation on the exercise of options and discretions by NCAs in relation to less significant institutions, ECB, 3 November 2016
- ECB Guide on options and discretions available in Union law, ECB, 3 November 2016
- Besluit van 15 november 2016 tot wijziging van het Besluit prudentiële regels Wft ter verkorting van de overgangsperiode voor de contracyclische kapitaalbuffer, Staatsblad, 30 november 2016
- Update voortgang bij activering beleggingsverzekeringen, VvV, 30 november 2016
- Wijziging van het Besluit van 11 december 2014 tot vaststelling van het tijdstip van inwerkingtreding van o.a. de Wijzigingswet financiële markten 2015 en het Wijzigingsbesluit financiële markten 2015, Staatsblad, 30 november 2016
- Besluit inwerkingtreding Consumentenkredietovereenkomsten, goederenkrediet en geldlening, Staatsblad, 25 november 2016
- Besluit inwerkingtreding van de Uitvoeringswet verordening Europees bevel tot conservatoir beslag op bankrekeningen, Staatsblad, 25 november 2016
- Uitvoeringswet verordening Europees bevel tot conservatoir beslag op bankrekeningen, Staatsblad, 25 november 2016
- Wijzigingsbesluit solvabiliteit verzekeraars met beperkte risico-omvang, Staatsblad, 18 november 2016
- Besluit van 27 oktober 2016 tot vaststelling van het tijdstip van inwerkingtreding van de Implementatiewet toegang basisbetaalrekening, Staatsblad, 10 november 2016
- Antwoorden op vragen uit schriftelijk overleg vakbekwaamheidsbouwwerk, MinFin, 2 december 2016
- Beantwoording Kamervragen over mediaberichtgeving ABN AMRO, MinFin, 29 november 2016
- Ministerie van Financiën consulteert herziening Wft, MinFin, 23 november 2016
- Kamerbrief met antwoorden op vragen over kostenkader DNB en de AFM 2017-2020, MinFin, 21 november 2016
- Kamerbrief n.a.v. schriftelijk overleg over moties en toezeggingen bijzonder beheer door banken, MinFin, 15 november 2016
- Verslag FSC 8 November 2016, MinFin, 15 november 2016
- Tweede nota van wijziging Pensioen in Eigen Beheer, MinFin, 14 november 2016
- Kamerbrief over toezegging op het terrein van de financiële markten, MinFin, 8 november 2016
- Beantwoording Kamervragen nav bericht ‘Middenbedrijf weet kapitaalmarkt onvoldoende te vinden’, MinFin, 7 november 2016
- Effecten van standaardproducten op keuzegedrag van consumenten, MinFin, 7 november 2016
- Antwoorden Kamervragen terugtreding enige vrouw in Raad van Bestuur ABN AMRO, MinFin, 4 november 2016
- Antwoorden Kamervragen over wurgkredieten, MinFin, 3 november 2016
- Rapportage vergelijking rekenmethodieken pensioenuitkomsten, MinSZW, 2 december 2016
- Beantwoording Kamervragen over toetsing van pensioenfondsbestuurders door DNB, MinSZW, 23 november 2016
- Beantwoording Kamervragen over toetsing van pensioenfondsbestuurders door DNB, MinSZW, 23 november 2016
- Kamerbrief hoofdlijnen wetsvoorstel waardeoverdracht klein pensioen en implementatie Wet pensioencommunicatie, MinSZW, 22 november 2016
- Beantwoording Kamervragen kostencijfers pensioensector DNB, MinSZW, 22 november 2016
- Beantwoording Kamervragen over bericht ‘Nieuwe regels voor aparte indexatiedepots voor pensioenfondsen’, MinSZW, 21 november 2016
- Kamerbrief intrekken wetsvoorstel variabele pensioenuitkering, MinSZW, 11 november 2016
- Beantwoording Kamervragen over Pensioen 1-2-3, MinSZW, 2 november 2016
- ‘Let op! Geld lenen kost geld’ geen onmiddellijk effect in verkoopomgeving, AFM, 6 december 2016
- Vanaf 1 januari 2017 controleert AFM diploma’s financiële dienstverleners, AFM, 22 november 2016
- Kamerbrief met antwoorden op vragen over kostenkader DNB en de AFM 2017-2020, MinFin, 21 november 2016
- Bewustzijn geïntegreerde verslaggeving groeit, verdere stappen nodig, AFM, 18 november 2016
- Is uw Dienstverleningsdocument nog actueel?, AFM, 16 november 2016
- AFM wijst kredietaanbieders op hun verantwoordelijkheid bij incassoproblemen, AFM, 14 november 2016
- Risico’s van crowdfunding door investeerders mogelijk onderschat, AFM, 11 november 2016
- Klantbelang centraal: verbetering zichtbaar maar niet op alle fronten, AFM, 3 november 2016
- Seminar beleggingsondernemingen – Presentatieslides, DNB, 2 december 2016
- Nieuwsbrief Depositogarantiestelsel, DNB, 1 december 2016
- MOB: Bereikbaarheid van betaaldiensten nog altijd hoog, DNB, 30 november 2016
- Toezicht Vooruitblik 2017, DNB, 29 november 2016
- Nieuwsbrief Banken november 2016, DNB, 29 november 2016
- Nieuwsbrief Verzekeren november 2016, DNB, 29 november 2016
- Nieuwsbrief Pensioenen 29 november 2016, DNB, 29 november 2016
- Nieuwsbrief Trustkantoren november 2016, DNB, 29 november 2016
- DNBulletin: Opkomst nieuwe aanbieders in kredietmarkten gunstig voor financieel stelsel, DNB, 29 november 2016
- Rapportage Resolutiefonds 2017 – Factsheet, DNB, 28 november 2016
- DNBulletin: Bancaire hypotheekportefeuilles onder de loep, DNB, 22 november 2016
- Banken – Overzicht markttoegang – Factsheet, DNB, 22 november 2016
- Verzekeraars – Overzicht markttoegang – Factsheet, DNB, 22 november 2016
- Wisselinstellingen – Overzicht markttoegang – Factsheet, DNB, 22 november
- Vergunning betaaldienstverlener – Overzichtspagina – Factsheet, DNB, 22 november
- Elektronischgeldinstellingen – Overzicht markttoegang – Factsheet, DNB, 22 november
- Afwikkelonderneming – Overzicht markttoegang – Factsheet, DNB, 22 november
- Premiepensioeninstellingen – Overzicht markttoegang – Factsheet, DNB, 22 november
- Algemeen Pensioenfonds – Factsheet, DNB, 22 november 2016
- Nieuwsbrief Pensioenen november 2016, DNB, 3 november 2016
- Wijziging van de Regeling tarief centrale examenbank Wft 2015, Internetconsultatie, 5 december 2016
- Regeling tot wijziging van de Regeling Pensioenwet en Wet verplichte beroepspensioenregeling vanwege aanwijzing van een categorie van personen en verlenging van de pensioenknip, Staatscourant, 2 december 2016
- International banking supervisory community meets to discuss the regulatory framework, BIS, 1 December 2016
- Kamerbrief over de aandachtspunten rond de zorgplicht van zorgverzekeraars, MinVWS, 30 november 2016
- Fourth Industry Dialogue, SRB, 30 November 2016
- The launch of the EPC’s SEPA Instant Credit Transfer scheme marks a further step in European payments integration, EPC, 30 November 2016
- Risk weight for the International Development Association (IDA), BIS, 30 November 2016
- Initiatiefnota van de leden Oosenbrug en Nijboer over de financiële sector en big data, TK, 29 november 2016
- Wijziging UPO model 2017 premieovereenkomsten, Pensioenfederatie, 28 november 2016
- ISDA and IHS Markit Launch 2016 Variation Margin Protocol on ISDA Amend, ISDA, 28 November 2016
- SRB resolution planning 2017, 28 November 2016
- 2017 Work Programme, SRB, 28 November 2016
- SEPA Credit Transfer and SEPA Direct Debit Schemes Rulebooks, EPC, 24 November 2016
- Proposal clarify rules on combating money laundering and terrorist financing in correspondent banking, BIS, 23 November 2016
- FSB publishes 2016 G-SII list, FSB, 21 November 2016
- FSB publishes 2016 G-SIB list, FSB, 21 November 2016
- Further details on the assessment of global systemically important banks, BIS, 21 November 2016
- Mandaat Autoriteit Financiële Markten per 8 november 2016, Staatscourant, 17 november 2016
- Implementatiewet herziene richtlijn betaaldiensten, Internetconsultatie, 17 november 2016
- PRIIPS Regulation, Council EU, 17 November 2016
- ESAs provide guidance on anti-money laundering and counter-terrorist financing supervision, ESAs, 16 November 2016
- Samenvatting advies over een verbod op winstuitkering door zorgverzekeraars, RvS, 15 november 2016
- Application Paper on Approaches to Supervising the Conduct of Intermediaries, IAIS, 15 November 2016
- Money market funds: Presidency and EP reach agreement, Council EU, 14 November 2016
- Consultation on Other CRA Products and their use by market participants, IOSCO, 7 November 2016
- Implementation Report: G20/FSB Recommendations related to Securities Markets, IOSCO, 7 November
- Advies Raad van State inzake het ontwerp van een algemene maatregel van bestuur tot wijziging van het Besluit financieel toetsingskader pensioenfondsen in verband met toeslagendepots, Staatscourant, 7 november 2016
- OECD Core Principles of Private Pension Regulation, OECD, 4 November 2016
- Wijziging van de Regeling eindtermen en toetstermen examens financiële dienstverlening Wft, Internetconsultatie, 3 november 2016
- Fast payments – Enhancing the speed and availability of retail payments, BIS, November 2016
- Wet gegevensverwerking en meldplicht cybersecurity, EK, 27 oktober 2016