- Advocaat, admitted to the Bar in 1989
- Partner since
- Corporate law, mergers and acquisitions, corporate litigation, public takeover
- Dutch, English, French
- University of Leiden
Bernard specialises in corporate law, mergers and acquisitions, corporate litigation, public takeovers, corporate governance and capital markets. He has advised on numerous national and international public takeovers, disposals and joint ventures, and more recently on a number of contested public takeovers. His practice also includes corporate litigation and acting as regular outside counsel on governance issues to public and private companies in the Netherlands.
Recent work includes advising:
- The Dutch government and UCN in relation to the participation in URENCO Limited
- ABN AMRO in connection with its IPO.
- Nutreco on the recommended EUR 2.7 billion public offer by SHV Holdings.
- VP Exploitatie and Mediahuis N.V on the public offer for Telegraaf Media Groep N.V.
- The Eneco Shareholder Committee on the potential privatisation of Eneco Group N.V.
Bernard regularly speaks at international and national conferences on takeovers and lectures on public offers and corporate governance in the Netherlands. Prior to 1998, he was resident partner of De Brauw’s office in Prague and an attorney with the Office of the General Counsel of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development. He also served on De Brauw’s managing committee as practice head for the Corporate and Finance practices from 2000-2005.
'A logical thinker with excellent negotiations skills.' - Chambers Global