- Advocaat, admitted to the Bar in 1992
- Partner since
- Arbitration, large scale construction projects, public procurement, energy, commercial contracts
- Dutch, English, German
- University of Leiden and Europe Institute of the University of Saarbrücken (Germany)
Bommel is an expert in the field of international arbitration and heads the construction practice. He predominantly handles complex arbitrations in the field of energy, large scale construction projects and M&A-related matters. On the basis of his wide-ranged arbitration experience, Bommel also advises on procurement and contracting strategy for complex projects.
Bommel is a member of the management board of the Netherlands Arbitration Institute (NAI) and a member of the SIAC Users Council in Singapore.
Bommel divides his time between Amsterdam and Singapore.
Bommel is editor and co-author of the Commentary on Dutch Arbitration Law, A Guide to the NAI Arbitration Rules and co-author of the Dutch commentary on European and Dutch Public Procurement Law.
Bommel’s recent work includes representing and advising:
- GasTerra and Shell as lead counsel in gas price review arbitrations under a variety of international arbitration rules
- NXP as lead counsel in three ICC arbitrations against STMicroelectronics regarding their wireless joint venture
- SBM as lead counsel in in two NAI arbitrations regarding the construction of a series of legged crane vessels
- VTTI as lead counsel in a dispute regarding the construction of an oil terminal and offshore jetty in Cyprus
- Schiphol Airport on the procurement and contracting strategy for the development of the new A-pier on Schiphol Airport
'a highly experienced litigator with great tenacity' - Chambers Europe