- Advocaat, admitted to the Bar in 2003
- Partner since
- Litigation and arbitration
- Dutch, English
- University of Amsterdam
Edward specialises in international disputes, including both international arbitration proceedings and litigation in courts in various jurisdictions. He often deals with post-acquisition disputes, construction disputes and disputes under long-term contracts.
Edward has a global practice and has handled matters on all continents. He was the resident partner of De Brauw’s Singapore office from 2016 to 2019, where he headed De Brauw’s Asian arbitration practice. Previously, in 2009 and 2010, Edward was seconded to the International Arbitration department of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP in New York. Edward continues to handle many cases related to Asia and/or the USA.
Edward is a founding board member of the Dutch Arbitration Association and a member of the ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR. He is also an editor of a standard work on Dutch procedural law and regularly publishes on a variety of issues.
Edward’s recent work includes representing and advising:
- an energy company in an AIAC arbitration under Malaysian law relating to a construction dispute with a value of USD 900 million
- a US software company in a royalties dispute with a value of USD 2 billion
- an FMCG company in a post-acquisition dispute with a value of EUR 1 billion
- a gas company in a USD 1 billion supply dispute
- a fertiliser company in two different arbitrations with a value of over USD 300 million in total
- a Thai company in an ICC arbitration under Thai law regarding the construction of a wastewater treatment plant
“outstanding in cross-examinations” Legal 500