- Advocaat, admitted to the Bar in 2003
- Partner since
- Litigation and arbitration
- Dutch, English
- University of Amsterdam
Edward specialises in international disputes, including both international arbitration proceedings and litigation in courts in various jurisdictions. He often deals with post-acquisition disputes, supply relationships and investment arbitrations. Edward has particular experience in the energy sector, the construction sector and the transport sector.
Edward is recommended by the Legal 500 noting that he is “outstanding in cross-examinations”.
In 2009 and 2010, Edward was seconded to the International Arbitration department of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP in New York, focusing on Investor-State arbitrations. Edward is an editor of a standard work on Dutch procedural law and regularly publishes on a variety of issues.
Edward is a founding board member of the Dutch Arbitration Association and a member of the ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR.
Edward’s recent work includes representing and advising
- a gas company in obtaining a USD 1 billion award
- a fertiliser company in two different arbitrations with a value of over USD 300 million in total
- a Thai company in an ICC arbitration under Thai law regarding the construction of a wastewater treatment plant
- an Israeli company in its high-stake dispute with a private equity firm
- Ecuador in setting aside proceedings concerning an investment arbitration award with a value of USD 14 billion
- a cement and concrete manufacturer under ICSID rules in New York regarding a USD 1 billion expropriation claim against Venezuela under the Netherlands-Venezuela BIT
“outstanding in cross-examinations” Legal 500