- Advocaat, admitted to the Bar in 1998
- Partner since
- Corporate Litigation, Financial Services Litigation, Mass Claims, Supreme Court Litigation
- Dutch, English, French, German
- University of Groningen (law, history), University of London (M.A. in legal and political theory) and University of Leiden (Ph.D)
Jan de Bie Leuveling Tjeenk is a renowned specialist in corporate litigation, securities litigation, class actions, and civil procedure.
Jan is ranked in the highest categories of litigation lawyers by both Chambers and Legal 500. According to Chambers 2017, he is “a very creative and intelligent litigation lawyer” and gives “practical and tactical advice at an early stage of the proceedings.” In addition, Chambers describes him as “an excellent Supreme Court litigator and a true gentleman.” Legal500 comments: “An excellent litigator – softly spoken but with spot-on legal arguments: he wins his cases.”
Jan is a Professor of Corporate Litigation at VU University Amsterdam. He was educated at Groningen (LL.M and M.A. in History), University College London (M.A. in Legal and Political Theory) and Leyden (Ph.D. in Law).
Jan is admitted to the Netherlands Supreme Court bar.
Jan is a member of the State Commission for Private International Law.
He is a board member of several charitable organisations.
Jan’s recent work includes advising and representing:
- AkzoNobel in its successful defence against activist Elliott Advisors in relation to the unsolicited offers made by US competitor PPG
- Shell in a class action relating to oil spills in Nigeria
- NAM in mass claims regarding damage from earthquakes
- Enel SpA in multi-jurisdictional defence proceedings against a EUR 450 million claim for breach of due process and natural justice in Albania
- Rabobank in a class action regarding its portfolio of interest derivatives sold to small- and medium-sized enterprises
- Dexia Bank in numerous landmark cases before the Netherlands Supreme Court regarding financial products sold to retail investors
‘An excellent litigator – softly spoken but with spot-on legal arguments: he wins his cases’. - Legal 500