- Advocaat, admitted to the Bar in the Netherlands in 2008
- Partner since
- Commercial litigation, contract law
- Dutch, English
- University of Utrecht
Machteld specialises in litigation and has particular expertise in Dutch procedural law, mass claims and follow-on damages litigation. She acts on behalf of national and international companies in all types of litigation and has broad experience at all levels of the judiciary in the Netherlands, including the Supreme Court.
Machteld’s recent work includes advising:
- DAF Trucks in a large number of follow-on damages proceedings following the EC decision imposing EUR 3 billion fines on European truck manufacturers
- TenneT in follow-on proceedings in relation to the GIS-cartel
- Group companies of Yukos Oil, formerly Russia’s largest oil company, in proceedings about the preservation and recovery of assets following the Russian Federation’s illegitimate expropriation of Yukos Oil
- Vivat in several investment-linked insurance cases
Machteld publishes and lectures on Dutch procedural law.
After being seconded to the New York law firm Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP, she was awarded The Legal Aid Society’s (US) 2014 Pro Bono Publico Award in recognition of her pro bono service to The Legal Aid Society and its clients.
Machteld was named ‘Legal Woman of the Year, 2018’ by Legal Women.
She is also head of De Brauw’s Pro Bono practice, which was awarded the ‘Pro Bono Program of the Year’ during Chambers Diversity and Inclusion (Europe) Awards, 2019.