- Advocaat, admitted to the Bar in 2008
- Partner since
- Commercial litigation, contract law
- Dutch, English
- University of Utrecht
Machteld specialises in litigation and has particular expertise in Dutch procedural law. She acts on behalf of national and international companies in all types of litigation and has broad experience at all levels of the judiciary in the Netherlands, including the Supreme Court.
Machteld’s recent work includes advising:
- group companies of Yukos Oil, formerly Russia’s largest oil company, in proceedings about the preservation and recovery of assets following the Russian Federation’s illegitimate expropriation of Yukos Oil.
- Vivat in several investment-linked insurance cases.
- British Airways in various multijurisdictional follow-on proceedings related to the alleged air cargo cartel.
In 2013, Machteld was seconded to the New York law firm Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP as an international associate for a year, where she worked on complex common law cases, including class actions and jury trials. Machteld publishes and lectures on Dutch procedural law. She is also a member of De Brauw’s Pro Bono Committee.
Machteld received The Legal Aid Society’s (US) 2014 Pro Bono Publico Award in recognition of her outstanding pro bono service to The Legal Aid Society and its clients.
On 29 November 2018, Machteld was named Legal Woman of the Year 2018 by Legal Women.