- Advocaat, admitted to the Netherlands Bar in 2007, and to the New York Bar in 2013
- Litigation and arbitration, mergers and acquisitions
- Dutch, English
- University of Leiden, Stanford Law School
Albert specialises in international arbitration and litigation. He advises and acts in disputes involving bilateral and multilateral investment treaties, M&A contracts, gas purchase agreements and other commercial contracts. His special focus is the energy, financial services and technology sectors.
Albert also regularly acts in State court proceedings concerning the enforcement of international arbitral awards, especially where a sovereign party is involved.
Albert is a board member of the Dutch Arbitration Association (DAA). He is also a co-editor of the forthcoming Kluwer publication “Arbitration in the Netherlands” (expected in 2019).
Albert is also the author for the IBA Guide (NL).
Albert’s recent work includes representing and advising:
- former Yukos shareholders in setting aside proceedings in respect of three UNCITRAL arbitral awards worth USD 50 billion issued against the Russian Federation under the Energy Charter Treaty.
- financial group Achmea in two successive UNCITRAL investment arbitrations against the Slovak Republic under the Netherlands-Slovakia BIT seated in Frankfurt and Geneva.
- a former Soviet Republic in enforcement proceedings regarding two high-value ICC awards issued in Paris in relation to an infrastructure project.
- gas export company GasTerra – a subsidiary of the Dutch Government, Shell and Exxon – in several gas price arbitrations. These included GasTerra’s USD 1.5 billion victory in parallel ICC and UNCITRAL arbitrations against Italian energy company Eni seated in The Hague and Geneva.
- Royal Philips in a EUR 500 million ICC arbitration in Osaka in connection with the failed sale of Philips’ lifestyle entertainment business to Funai Electric of Japan.
"Outstanding in hearings"
- client comment published in Global Arbitration Review 2018
An “absolute star”
- client comment published in Legal 500 2018
“Exellent" and widely endorsed as "a top player in the market"
- Who is Who Legal 2018