- Advocaat, admitted to the Bar in 2000
- Partner since
- Litigation, Arbitration, Insurance
- Dutch, English
- University of Utrecht, University College London and Columbia Law School
Eelco Meerdink is a leading dispute resolution practitioner with extensive experience in complex and cross-border litigation, international arbitration and ADR. He represents companies and management in diverse industries, including financial services, insurance, technology, energy, construction, pharmaceutical and manufacturing.
Eelco is noted for effectively utilising a wide array of means, methods and techniques to resolve complex disputes, always with a sharp focus on the client’s interests in resolution of the dispute. Chambers comments: “He has a critical eye, giving problems their proper weight and gaining an objective perspective of what will be profitable for the client”, adding that “he is very sharp and has an enormous strategic insight.“
Eelco has represented multinational corporations in both ad hoc arbitration and institutional arbitrations administered by the world’s leading arbitration institutes. He has also handled arbitration related court proceedings, including Supreme Court litigation, in particular regarding the setting aside of arbitral awards.
In international litigation and arbitration he regularly works with other international law firms. From 2015-2018 Eelco was head of the litigation and arbitration practice and member of De Brauw’s management committee. Eelco frequently lectures and publishes on dispute resolution.
Eelco’s recent work includes
- representing the former majority shareholders of Yukos in appeal proceedings regarding the setting aside of the USD 50 billion arbitral awards rendered against the Russian Federation
- acting as lead attorney in an international arbitration between a global insurance company and a private bank regarding coverage for liability for the sale of investment products in several European countries
- representing group companies of Yukos, formerly Russia’s largest oil company, in dozens of proceedings about the preservation and recovery of assets following the expropriation of Yukos Oil by the Russian Federation
- representing corporate clients and financial institutions in various high value disputes on the liability for professional services and on coverage under insurance policies (e.g. PI, D&O, FI, E&O)
- acting for electricity production and distribution companies in commercial arbitrations
- acting for a gas supplier in a multi billion euro UNCITRAL arbitration regarding the price review mechanism in a long-term gas supply contract
- representing owners and engineering companies in several disputes regarding contracts for the design and construction of chemical plants and petrochemical facilities
"He is outstanding in his profession. His technical knowledge and projections are extremely impressive and accurate, his responsiveness is excellent, his advice is highly respected and he is very pleasurable to work with." - Chambers Global