- Advocaat, admitted to the Bar in 2000
- Partner since
- Litigation, Arbitration, Insurance
- Dutch, English
- University of Utrecht, University College London and Columbia Law School
Eelco Meerdink is a partner in the litigation and arbitration practice group at De Brauw. He has extensive experience in complex and cross-border litigation, international arbitration and ADR. He represents companies and management in diverse industries, including financial services, energy, insurance, technology, construction, pharmaceutical and manufacturing.
Eelco is noted for effectively utilising a wide array of means, methods and techniques to resolve complex cross-border disputes. Chambers comments: “He is outstanding in his profession. His technical knowledge and projections are extremely impressive and accurate, his responsiveness is excellent, his advice is highly respected and he is very pleasurable to work with.”
He has represented multinational corporations in both ad hoc arbitration and institutional arbitrations administered by the world’s leading arbitration institutes. In international litigation and arbitration he regularly works with other international law firms.
Recent work includes:
- representing group companies of Yukos Oil, formerly Russia’s largest oil company, in proceedings about the preservation and recovery of assets following the illegitimate expropriation of Yukos Oil by the Russian Federation
- acting for a gas supplier in a multi billion euro UNCITRAL arbitration regarding the price review mechanism in a long-term gas supply contract
- representing corporate clients and financial institutions in proceedings on the liability for professional services and in high value disputes relating to coverage under insurance contracts (D&O, FI, E&O)
- acting for electricity production and distribution companies in commercial arbitrations
- representing owners and engineering companies in several disputes regarding contracts for the design and construction of chemical plants and petrochemical facilities
- handling arbitration related court proceedings, including Supreme Court litigation, in particular regarding the setting aside of arbitral awards.
"He is outstanding in his profession. His technical knowledge and projections are extremely impressive and accurate, his responsiveness is excellent, his advice is highly respected and he is very pleasurable to work with." - Chambers Global