- Advocaat, admitted to the bar in 1983
- Partner since
- Corporate law, mergers and acquisitions, private equity, corporate governance
- Dutch, English
- University of Leiden and Columbia University New York (LL.M)
Paul has a well-established international corporate practice, representing listed companies, large multinationals and private equity firms. Paul has handled a wide range of Dutch and cross-border public takeovers, private acquisitions and disposals, auctions and joint ventures and regularly advises on corporate governance matters. He has also acted as counsel or arbitrator in numerous ICC, AAA and NAI arbitrations.
Paul is a member of the Netherlands Bar, and has been admitted to the New York and California Bar. He is a former resident partner of De Brauw’s New York office. Paul is a member of the faculty of the Amsterdam Institute of Finance, and Chair of the Law Firm Management Committee Strategy and Finance Working Group of the International Bar Association. He also serves on the Legal Committee of the American Chamber of Commerce in the Netherlands and is included on the list of arbitrators of the Netherlands Arbitration Institute and on the International Panel of Arbitrators of the American Arbitration Association.
Paul has been nominated for ‘Best M&A lawyer of the Netherlands’ several times. Clients say he is ‘highly skilled in corporate governance and private equity work’ (Chambers Europe 2013), ‘valued for his negotiation abilities, he really bridged the gap between the parties’ (Chambers Global 2014), ‘very client focused and an excellent negotiator’ (Legal 500 EMEA 2016), ‘a very good dealmaker, very dedicated and matter-of fact’ (Chambers Global 2016), ‘a great strategic thinker’ and ‘a very thoughtful adviser’ (Chambers Europe 2017), and ‘remarkable, a calm problem-solver’ (Legal 500 EMEA 2018).
Paul’s recent work includes advising
- Pfizer on the USD 22 billion merger of spin-off Upjohn and Mylan
- Siemens on its EUR 628 million acquisition of Mendix
- CB&I on its USD 6 billion combination with McDermott
- Patheon on the USD 7,2 billion recommended offer by Thermo Fisher
- Strauss Coffee on its EUR 257 million share buyback from TPG
- Fugro on its successful defense against Boskalis
- Patheon on its USD 3 billion IPO on NYSE
- Teva on its unsolicited USD 40 billion approach of Mylan
- Prosensa on the USD 840 million recommended offer by Biomarin
- Temasek on its pre-IPO cornerstone investment in NN Group
- Alliance Data Systems (ADS) on its acquisition of Brand Loyalty
- Telefonica on its acquisition of E-Plus from KPN
- Omnicom on its proposed USD 35 billion merger with Publicis
- CNH Global on its USD 12 billion merger with Fiat Industrial
- Germany on the Airbus shareholder pact with France and Spain
'A VERY GOOD DEALMAKER'
'A GREAT STRATEGIC THINKER'
- Legal 500