- Advocaat (admitted to the Bar in Amsterdam, the Netherlands)
- Enforcement, Compliance, Investigation, Information Security, Data Privacy
- English, Dutch
- University of Leiden
Richard’s practice centres around criminal and financial regulatory enforcement.
He is an experienced trial lawyer and regularly represents corporations in criminal and regulatory enforcement proceedings and civil litigation. He is also well-versed in handling corporate internal investigations, setting up compliance programmes, and crisis management. His areas of expertise also include securities and accounting fraud, corruption, export controls, and theft of trade secrets and intellectual property. Additionally, Richard advises on security breaches, computer fraud, and network and data security issues.
Richard is especially experienced in negotiations and discussions with governmental and regulatory bodies. Clients say he is “very precise, accurate, and able to maintain good relationships with the Departments of Justice and the Dutch Prosecution Office, which is helpful.” (Chambers 2016)
Richard is a partner in De Brauw’s Regulatory and Criminal Enforcement group, consistently rated as tier 1 by both Chambers and Legal 500.
Richard is a U.S. Certified Information Privacy Professional. He has published in various Dutch and international law and technology journals including Tijdschrift voor Sanctierecht & Compliance, the International Privacy Guide, the Privacy Advisor, and Informatie. He regularly lectures on internal investigations, cybercrime and information security.
Richard’s recent work includes representing and advising on:
• corporations’ white-collar criminal defences
• financial benchmarks (LIBOR) investigations and enforcement
• multinational deferred prosecution arrangements
• cybersecurity response
• anti-money laundering and client identification litigation
• anti-bribery and anti-corruption enforcement
• insider trading and market manipulation