Marnix Leijten is a noted specialist in complex commercial litigation and national and international arbitration, particularly in advising large corporates in the electricity, oil and natural gas markets. He handles arbitration cases in a wide variety of industry sectors, administered by the world’s leading arbitration institutes and situated in many different countries. His work includes energy, distribution, technology, electronics, IT, rail and air transport, insurance, investment, projects, construction and M&A disputes.
Marnix is the Dutch member of the ICC International Court of Arbitration in Paris and is editor and co-author of the Commentary on Dutch Arbitration Law, A Guide to the NAI Arbitration Rules.
Recent work includes advising:
- Achmea on its recently won investment arbitration (UNCITRAL) against the Slovak Republic as well as on a potential new arbitration against the Slovak Republic regarding the planned expropriation of Achmea's Slovak health insurance subsidiary
- GasTerra on disputes under its long-term contracts for the export of Dutch natural gas, including on two price review arbitrations against Eni of Italy (UNCITRAL and ICC)
- Royal Dutch Shell on various confidential disputes in Europe, in litigation and arbitration, including on a post M&A dispute, on a cross-border contractual dispute involving deep sea drilling and on several price review negotiations and arbitrations under long-term gas sales agreements
- Royal Philips Electronics on several (potential) high value arbitration and litigation issues
- NXP Semiconductors in two ICC arbitrations against STMicroelectronics regarding their wireless joint venture
the Republic of Kazakhstan in 2 ICSID arbitration proceedings on jurisdiction-related issues
Chambers report that he is a '"brilliant and driven" practitioner, lauded for his arbitration work and his handling of high-profile cases in the energy sector.' Additionally, he ‘has impressed clients as a strategic thinker and devoted counsellor. " Apart from giving spot-on analysis, he made the effort to really get to know our company," one interviewee said’.
Marnix won ILO's 2012 Client Choice Award for best Litigation lawyer in the Netherlands.