We have a fantastic opportunity for an entrepreneurial, organised and self-motivated individual to join our Amsterdam-based Compliance Team as a Business Compliance Officer.
De Brauw has standing as the leading international law firm in the Netherlands. For over 150 years, we have been representing our clients as a strong and spirited collective of renowned legal experts. We invest in building relationships of trust with our clients, through profound engagement with their business and a deep understanding of their ambitions. This is an inherent and unique hallmark of De Brauw, and one that allows us to guarantee the highest levels of support for our clients.
It therefore follows that we pursue excellence in every aspect of our business conduct and are committed to hold ourselves accountable to the highest standards of professionalism, ethics and integrity. Our core values, to be courageous, curious and collective underpin and overarch the entire approach to, and our ethos of, compliance and business integrity.
As a Business Compliance Officer, you will work closely with our lawyers and the different internal departments to pursue excellence in every aspect of our business operations, and comply with all applicable laws, regulations, supervisory requirements, internal policies and procedures. You will be responsible for identifying, assessing, monitoring and managing the compliance we face as De Brauw strives to play its part in safeguarding the integrity of the financial system.
You will be part of the AML Unit alongside three other colleagues and report to the Compliance Officer. The AML Unit is part of the wider Compliance Team which also includes a Compliance and Information Security Officer and a Data Protection Officer.
Your primary focus will be on KYC/AML and Sanctions related requirements, however depending on your affinity and skill-set there will be opportunities to assist with many different compliance subjects, such as but not limited to ESG, Conflict of Interest, Bribery & Corruption, Outside Positions ("Nevenfuncties") and Insider Trading.
In this role you will:
- be the go-to compliance specialist for KYC/AML and Sanctions related questions depending on your affinity and skill-set this can be expanded to other compliance areas (see above);
- conduct continuous screening and monitoring of clients and suppliers, carry out risk assessments and maintain compliance files;
- ensure that all clients and suppliers are (continuous) screened on Sanctions;
- maintain our ID database with the identification and verification of all clients and suppliers;
- ensure that all KYC/AML requirements are met for new clients (including assessing documentation and risk analyses) and existing clients (including periodic risk assessment);
- communicate with clients, suppliers, colleagues and third parties on KYC/AML related matters;
- assist in maintaining and improving internal policies and procedures to ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations and standards; and
- inform and advise the Compliance Officer about the impact of any changes in laws, regulations, best practices or compliance themes in general.
To thrive in this role, we anticipate that you will need:
- a Bachelor or Master's degree or working level (preferably in business, law or a finance related field);
- 2-5 years of experience (preferably in the financial or legal services industry with a proven track record in Compliance);
- excellent English written and verbal communication skills (with speaking and understanding Dutch being an advantage rather than a mandatory requirement);
- to be self-organized and well-structured;
- a pragmatic approach with critical attention to detail; and
- to be pro-active, hands-on with an optimistic problem-solving can-do mentality.
Does this sound like you? If so, we look forward to hearing from you.
Practically this job offers the following benefits:
- Proper financial compensation based on your qualifications and experience;
- Ability to work in a personal and highly motivated team;
- Ability to work in an environment that supports a balanced professional and personal life;
- Ability to work in an environment that supports personal and professional growth (De Brauw Academy);
- Opportunity to make a real impact for our team and business;
- Opportunity to work part-time (0.8 FT).