- Tax lawyer
- Partner since
- Tax law
- Dutch, English, French, German
- University of Leiden (civil law and postgraduate tax law)
Paul is a noted specialist in Dutch and international tax law. His practice is strongly transaction driven, with a mixture of M&A, corporate restructuring and finance transactions. In addition, Paul regularly works on special projects, and has been involved in various cases for the US Tax Court as an expert witness.
Before joining De Brauw, Paul was resident partner of Loyens & Volkmaars’ New York and London offices. He was also a managing director of investment banking, corporate finance with Merrill Lynch in London. This experience provides him with invaluable insight into the non-tax considerations of corporate transactions.
Paul’s broad experience gained both in the Netherlands and abroad significantly enhances his understanding of the tax aspects of capital markets and finance transactions, as well as the tax considerations of cross-border M&A transactions. In addition, Paul frequently assists clients in tax policy issues, including (potential) tax litigation.
Chambers says: “Clients recommend Paul Sleurink for “very complex deals at the highest level.” and describe him as “a great pleasure to work with.”
Paul’s recent work includes advising
- NXP Semiconductors on its USD 47 billion acquisition by Qualcomm
- Philips on the separation of Philips Lighting and the IPO of Philips Lighting on Euronext Amsterdam
- Shell on the GBP 47 billion acquisition of BG Group
- NXP on its USD 40 million merger with Freescale
- Vodafone on the USD130 billion divestment of its 45% stake in Verizon Wireless to Verizon Communications
Paul Sleurink combines 'technical excellence with sound commercial understanding of the business, which helps when it comes to giving pragmatic and informed advice.' - Chambers Europe