- Advocaat, admitted to the Bar in 1993
- Partner since
- Intellectual property, including trademark, design, copyright, database and know how protection and Supreme Court litigation
- Dutch, English, German, French (Passive)
- University of Leiden, University of California and University of San Francisco
Tobias specialises in intellectual property, especially trademark, trade dress, design, copyright and database protection. He regularly advises multinationals and foreign counsel on IP issues in the Netherlands, in the EU and on (international) litigation strategies. Tobias also provides IP advice and support in – often IP-driven – M&A transactions.
In addition, Tobias advises and litigates in the field of know how protection, media and entertainment, product claims and advertising.
He is also a renowned litigator, appearing before all national courts, as well as OHIM and the EU Court of Justice. Tobias is admitted to the Supreme Court Bar.
Tobias has been involved in most landmark IP decisions heard by the Supreme Court of the Netherlands in the past five years. Recent landmark cases include cross border injunctions in copyright infringements; a cross border injunction in comparative advertising; harmonised copyright protection for industrial design; copyright protection for smells; trademark protection for sounds; and liability of online platforms. Tobias is the primary author of the handbook European Trademark Law and is professor of intellectual property law at Erasmus University in Rotterdam.
World Trademark Review states that Tobias Cohen Jehoram (…) counts as “one of the sharpest theoretical thinkers around”, and “excels at explaining difficult issues in a way that is easy to understand”. “He has a really thorough understanding of European IP law and is a great discussion partner on so many levels.”
Tobias’s recent work includes representing and advising on:
- Liability of auction sites
- Trademark enforcement throughout the EU
- Protecting against look alike/private label products
- Strategies for launching pan-European new products
'A leader in brand protection and enforcement across the European Union'
Client feedback in Who's Who Legal 2016