- Advocaat, admitted to the Bar from 1985 to 1992 and from 2011, Professor of Insolvency Law, Leiden University from 2016
- Partner since
- (International) insolvency law, restructuring, security rights, property law
- Dutch, English
- University of Groningen
Reinout Vriesendorp is one of the most influential thinkers in the area of insolvency law and security rights in the Netherlands. He is a partner at De Brauw and was professor of civil and commercial law at Tilburg University in the Netherlands from 1992-2016. As of 2016, he is part-time professor of insolvency law at Leiden University (Department of Company Law, and Department of Business Studies). From 1985 to 1992, he was based at De Brauw offices in The Hague and New York. Reinout focuses primarily on the Corporate Restructuring and Insolvency practice.
In addition to his positions at Leiden University and De Brauw, Reinout is a member of the editorial boards of both the Dutch Insolvency Law Review (Tijdschrift voor Insolventierecht) and the International Insolvency Review. He has educated numerous insolvency practitioners and qualifying bankruptcy judges in their post-graduate Insolad/Grotius specialisation courses for more than two decades. He is also Insolad fellow, a member of the International Insolvency Institute (III) and long-time member of INSOL Europe (Academic Wing) and INSOL International (Academic Group). As member of the executive, he co-founded the recently established independent Conference on European Restructuring and Insolvency Law (CERIL).
He has also been recognised as a leading individual in restructuring and insolvency by Legal 500.
Recent work includes:
- Oi Telecom (recuperação judicial) in Brazil, the largest Latin-American restructuring, in respect of the restructuring and insolvency of its Dutch subsidiary Portugal Telecom International Finance B.V.
- Rabobank, litigation and settlement in dispute about termination of banking relationship
- Propertize, various lending related disputes
- Credit Suisse, assistance in (disputes with trustee in) bankruptcy of OSX Leasing B.V.
- ISDA (members), assistance related to netting options
- TAQA, assistance in enforcement dispute.